Friday 29 May 2009

Our IT equipped kayak


Tom has “retired” but I need to continue running my business while we’re away. My clients know travelling and so will only be accessing emails intermittently, but only a select few know exactly HOW I’m travelling. I suspect P&G’s purchasing department would be rather surprised if they could see where my email about our contract was being sent from!

IT and mobile broadband make this so much more feasible .... Even last year it would have been more difficult. For geeks, I use an small Acer Aspire One, with 16GB solid state memory and an extra large battery. I have a copy of all my work files with me on an 8GB USB key. Mobile broadband is via a vodaphone pay as you go dongle. This has much better coverage in NW Scotland than some of the other networks. While in the kayak, the kit lives in a A4 sized lomo waterproof bag with a sachet of desiccant, enveloped in a steadily increasing layer of clothes as padding.

If blog posts suddenly stop, you’ll know this was inadequate protection!

1 comment:

  1. A few months later, I was getting frustrated with the netbook, because although Amazon had sold it as 16GB memory was actually 8GB internal,+ 8 on an SD card. It turned out the 8GB internal was no longer enough for XP and microsoft Office, so we couldn't update. I felt a bit aggrieved and misled about this, so went back to Amazon, who without a quibble agreed to give us a full refund. Wow! That's good service. We promptly went out and got the equivalent model with a 160GB hard drive.

    No problems about storage now, but just hope its robust enough!

    ReplyDelete